A car accident is no fun for anyone, and many people do not know what to do after a car accident. This checklist of steps to take after an auto accident will make the auto claims process go more smoothly for you. Here is how to get your car fixed after an auto accident:
- Get as much information as possible from all parties involved. The easiest way to do this is often by taking a photo of their insurance cards and drivers licenses or other photo identifications. You will need their insurance carrier name, claims phone number, policy number, their name, their contact info, and driver’s license number.
- Take pictures of the scene and damage before moving anything, if possible. This can aid the insurance adjusters in making a clear assessment of the damage and determining liability.
- Call the police. The police can write a police report, which can help insurance adjusters come to a faster decision on liability.
- After the scene is clear and you return home, read our FAQ section on Auto Collision Repairs to learn your rights and how to deal with insurance companies. Then call your insurance company to report the claim. The insurance company may try to lead you to their “approved” repair facilities, but Texas State Law allows you to choose the auto repair facility and the parts used to repair your vehicle.
- After you have reported the claim, your insurance adjuster will need to write an estimate and take their own photos. This will allow the adjuster to make a decision on liability and get the process started for you to have your vehicle repaired. Most insurance companies have appraisers that will come to your home or place of business to look at your vehicle, take photos, and give you an estimate for the damage to the vehicle. Sometimes you may have to take your car to their facility to get an estimate.
- Contact us to schedule an estimate with our appraiser. Sometimes, the insurance appraiser may not be able to see all of the damage from the outside. If our estimate is higher than your insurance company’s estimate, we can work with the insurance adjustor to show them all the damage and make sure all the repairs are properly covered.